Candy: The New Olive Branch

 Nothing brings greater commentary on the Super Bowl than the halftime show and...the commercials. In fact, the commercials have become such a "water cooler" moment over the years, that ad companies have decided to remove the water cooler moments by releasing the ads in advance of the big day. Unfortunately, my high bar for the ads generally renders most cringe-worthy or instantly forgettable.  Yet... one commercial struck an unlikely note with me this past Super Bowl Sunday.





Ok - I do love M&Ms already, so I am a bit biased towards the product; however, this is about the humor more than making me want the product itself. I tend to enjoy commercials which use everyday situations as a source of humor. This commercial has that in spade -- from the kicking of seat from the person behind you to the topical controversy about "mansplaining". While I still don't like celebrity intrusions on commercials that don't need them (see: Dan Levy), it wasn't enough to ruin it. Perhaps the use of Karens and mansplaining will not age well, and I will look back on this with a palm to the forehead, but for now, it stands above some of the others.


1 comment: